St. Mary’s has separate War Memorials for the two World Wars
First World War (1914 - 1918) War Memorial
Along with most parishes in this country, St. Mary’s suffered significant losses during the 1914 - 1918 great war.
This war memorial was cleaned and renovated in 2008 in time for the 90th anniversary of armistice day on 11th november 2008.
The following inscriptions appear on this war memorial :
Left hand side
Right hand side
Information on the 21 men who gave their lives in World War1
The following information on each of the twenty one men who's names appear on this War Memorial has been collated by Mrs Sue Williams to whom we are most grateful.
The information provided has been drawn from various sources and is as accurate as possible, if you notice any mistakes please advise Sue at: email@example.com.
Sue wishes to thank all of those who have provided the information and if anyone has any further information or pictures please contact her..
To understand some of the addresses, please note that In the early 1900s Moorside Road commenced at the junction of Davyhulme Road and Cornhill Road and ran down to Woodsend. All the houses from the Curzon Circle towards Urmston were built at a later date. In addition, some of the original houses on Crofts Bank Road still have their original names on the gateposts.
See below for links to the pages containing details of the individuals whose names are recorded on the War Mermorial
| Printable Version|