Home > Our Church > War Memorial-WW1

War Memorial-WW1

St. Mary’s has separate War Memorials for the two World Wars

First World War (1914 - 1918) War Memorial

Picture outside St Mary the Virgin Davyhulme in its garden showing the main War Memorial for World War One. It is a granite stone cross of celtic appearance with a sword inset. It is approximately 6 feet tall on a tapered base on which the names of the remembered service men are in layed in gold coloured relief.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Along with most parishes in this country, St. Mary’s suffered significant losses during the 1914 - 1918 great war.
The names of twenty one men from St. Mary’s who died are inscribed on our war memorial, which is in the form of a celtic cross and is located in the main church garden.

This war memorial was cleaned and renovated in 2008 in time for the 90th anniversary of armistice day on 11th november 2008.

The following inscriptions appear on this war memorial :

Front
George Aldred, Frank Mosedale
Thomas Aldred, C. Percy Oakes
Sydney l. Bowers, Nathan F. Parr
Charles H. Fox, Wiliam Royle
Ronald Hand, Alfred B Self
Charles Lowe, Richard Sharp
Eric McCann. William R Shawcross
William McCann, Thomas Sheard
J. Clement McCracken, Eric Tweedale
Ernest Midgeley, Joseph Vallett
William Vallett

In honoured memory of the men from the church
and schools of this parish who gave their lives
in the Great War 1914 - 1918

Left hand side
Remember before God the gallant souls
whose names are witten here

Right hand side
Their memory will never die

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information on the 21 men who gave their lives in World War1

The following information on each of the twenty one men who's names appear on this War Memorial has been collated by Mrs Sue Williams to whom we are most grateful.

The information provided has been drawn from various sources and is as accurate as possible, if you notice any mistakes please advise Sue at: peterwilliams27@hotmail.com.

Sue wishes to thank all of those who have provided the information and if anyone has any further information or pictures please contact her..

To understand some of the addresses, please note that In the early 1900s Moorside Road commenced at the junction of Davyhulme Road and Cornhill Road and ran down to Woodsend. All the houses from the Curzon Circle towards Urmston were built at a later date.  In addition, some of the original houses on Crofts Bank Road still have their original names on the gateposts.

See below for links to the pages containing details of the individuals whose names are recorded on the War Mermorial


 Printable Version
<<  1 | 2
20-Vallett, Joseph

21-Vallett, William

<<  1 | 2